Stuffed Cabbage Soup is a flavorful and filling dish that brings together the heartiness of ground beef, the comforting texture of rice, the freshness of cabbage, and the tangy taste of tomato sauce. This soup is an ideal choice for a quick dinner or a lazy weekend lunch. The best part? It’s ready in just 30 minutes!
The simplicity of Stuffed Cabbage Soup lies in its ingredients. These are basic pantry staples that, when combined, create a dish that is anything but ordinary. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges and sliced thickly
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (8 ounces – not drained)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- Crumble the Beef: In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and cook until crumbled. Drain and set aside on a plate.
- Sauté the Onion: Add two tablespoons of butter to the pot and sauté the onions until tender. Remove and set aside with the ground beef.
- Wilt the Cabbage: Place two more tablespoons of butter in the pot and add the cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is tender and starts to wilt. Add the ground beef and onion back to the pan.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients: Add in the crushed tomatoes, beef stock, chopped tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the Rice: Right before serving, stir in the rice and add salt and pepper to taste.
What can I substitute for ground beef in Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
You can substitute ground beef with ground chicken, turkey, or even a plant-based alternative. The choice depends on your personal preference and dietary needs.
Can I use a different type of rice in Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
Yes, you can use any type of rice you prefer – white, brown, or even wild rice for a unique twist.
How do I store leftover Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
Leftover Stuffed Cabbage Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Before reheating, stir the soup well and ensure it is heated thoroughly.
Can I freeze Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
Yes, you can freeze Stuffed Cabbage Soup. Before adding the rice, let the soup cool and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and bring to a low simmer on the stove. Add the rice before serving.
What can I serve with Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
Stuffed Cabbage Soup is a complete meal in itself, but if you want to make it even more special, you can serve it with a side of crusty bread or a fresh green salad.
How can I make a vegetarian version of Stuffed Cabbage Soup?
To make a vegetarian version of Stuffed Cabbage Soup, you can substitute the ground beef with a plant-based alternative or add more vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or carrots.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup is a quick, easy, and delicious meal that’s sure to become a favorite in your household. With its hearty ingredients and rich flavors, it’s the perfect comfort food for any time of the year. So why wait? Try making Stuffed Cabbage Soup today!