Fresh Corn Salad
There’s nothing quite like a fresh corn salad to brighten up a summer meal. This Easy Corn and Tomato Salad is a vibrant, refreshing side dish that’s perfect for picnics, barbecues, or a simple weeknight dinner. The sweetness of the corn, the tangy bite of the tomatoes, and the fresh flavors of the herbs combine to create a salad that’s both delicious and healthy.
To make this salad, you’ll need the following key ingredients:
- Fresh corn: The star of the show. Fresh corn kernels bring a sweet, juicy crunch that’s hard to beat.
- Cherry tomatoes: These add a burst of tangy flavor and a beautiful pop of color.
- Red onion: For a bit of sharpness and crunch.
- Cilantro: This herb adds a fresh, vibrant flavor. If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can substitute with fresh basil or parsley.
- Lime juice: For a touch of acidity to balance out the sweetness of the corn.
- Olive oil: This helps to bind all the flavors together.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
How to Make Corn Salad
Making this salad is as easy as 1-2-3. Here’s how:
- Cook the corn (see the next section for tips on how to do this).
- While the corn is cooling, chop your tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss until everything is well mixed.
And there you have it! A fresh, delicious corn salad that’s ready in minutes.
Cooking corn for this salad is simple. You can either grill it, boil it, or steam it.
To grill: Preheat your grill to medium heat. Peel back the husks without removing them completely, remove the silks, then pull the husks back up. Soak the corn in water for 10 minutes, then grill for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the kernels are tender.
To boil: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the corn and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the kernels are tender.
To steam: Fill a pot with a few inches of water and bring to a boil. Place the corn in a steamer basket or on a rack above the water level. Cover and steam for about 15 minutes, until the kernels are tender.
This salad is incredibly versatile. Feel free to mix it up with some of these variations:
- Add some heat: Add a chopped jalapeno or a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Make it creamy: Add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Add protein: Toss in some grilled chicken or shrimp for a complete meal.
- Make it cheesy: Sprinkle in some crumbled feta or goat cheese.
Q: Can I use frozen or canned corn? A: Yes, you can. However, fresh corn will give you the best flavor and texture.
Q: Can I make this salad ahead of time? A: Absolutely! In fact, it tastes even better after it’s had some time for the flavors to meld together.
Storing Easy Corn and Tomato Salad
This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s best served chilled, so it’s a great make-ahead option for events.
Enjoy the flavors of summer with these refreshing, healthy salads!