Chocolate and zucchini might sound like an odd pairing, but when combined in a cake, they create a dessert that’s both rich and moist. This guide will walk you through the ins and outs of the Chocolate Zucchini Cake, a delightful twist on a classic dessert that’s bound to become a favorite in your household.
The Magic Behind Chocolate and Zucchini:
At first glance, chocolate and zucchini might seem like an unlikely duo. But, when combined, they create a harmonious blend of flavors and textures. The zucchini adds moisture to the cake, ensuring every bite is soft and luscious. Meanwhile, the chocolate provides that deep, rich flavor that we all crave in a dessert.
Zucchini, a summer squash, is incredibly versatile. It’s often used in savory dishes, but its subtle flavor and high water content make it an excellent addition to baked goods. When added to cakes or bread, zucchini imparts moisture, ensuring the end product isn’t dry or crumbly.
How can I ensure my zucchini doesn’t make the cake too wet?
After grating the zucchini, let it sit on paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Gently press the zucchini with a towel to release more moisture.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Absolutely! This cake can be made a day or two in advance. However, it’s recommended to prepare the glaze on the day you plan to serve.
Is it possible to freeze the Chocolate Zucchini Cake?
Yes, once the cake has cooled completely, wrap it in plastic wrap and foil, then transfer to a freezer-safe bag. It’s best to freeze the cake without the glaze and can be stored for up to 3 months.
- 2 to 3 medium zucchinis (2 to 3 cups shredded zucchini total)
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
For the chocolate glaze:
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 cup bundt pan generously and set aside.
- Grate the zucchinis and place on several layers of paper towels to absorb excess moisture. Gently press the zucchini to release moisture.
- Whisk granulated sugar, eggs, applesauce, butter, and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder together. Reserve a couple of tablespoons of the mixture.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until combined.
- Combine the chocolate chips with the reserved flour mixture. Add chocolate chips and grated zucchini to the batter and stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let the cake cool for ten minutes before inverting onto a plate. Let cake cool completely.
- For the glaze: Combine butter, chocolate chips, and corn syrup in a microwaveable dish. Heat in the microwave in 30-second intervals at 50% power, stirring in between, until melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 55 minutes | Total Time: 70 minutes
Kcal: 315 kcal | Servings: 16 servings