Indulge in the rich, decadent flavors of our Chocolate Rum Snowballs, a perfect treat for those who love the combination of chocolate and rum. These delightful snowballs are not just a feast for the taste buds but also a visual treat, with their dusting of powdered sugar resembling a light snowfall.
The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity and the joy it brings to the table. Whether you’re enjoying a quiet evening at home or celebrating with friends and family, these Chocolate Rum Snowballs will surely add a touch of warmth and festivity. Their soft texture, combined with the crunch of walnuts and the subtle kick of rum, makes every bite an unforgettable experience.
Table of contents
Chocolate Rum Snowballs Recipe
- 1 (11-ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips, or finely chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark rum, plus more as needed
- 3 cups finely shredded sweetened coconut
- 10 ounces white chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Mixing Dry Ingredients: In a food processor, combine vanilla wafers, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Use the pulse function to blend these ingredients until you achieve a fine, evenly ground mixture.
- Adding Wet Ingredients: To this mixture, add maple syrup and rum. Pulse again until the ingredients bind together to form a dough that is stiff yet moldable. If the dough feels too dry and is difficult to shape, gradually add a bit more rum and pulse until you reach the desired consistency.
- Chef’s Note: At this stage, you have the option to roll the snowballs in confectioners’ sugar. Once coated, wrap them and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
- Forming the Balls: Scoop out portions of the dough and roll them between your palms to form smooth balls, aiming for a size of about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place these balls on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate them while you prepare the white chocolate coating.
- Preparing Coconut: Pour coconut into a shallow bowl and set it aside for later use.
- Melting White Chocolate: Set a heat-proof bowl (either metal or glass) over a saucepan of simmering water on low heat. Reserve about 20% of the white chocolate to be used later. Add the remaining white chocolate to the bowl and allow it to melt without stirring, until almost all pieces are melted. The temperature of the chocolate should reach 105 degrees F (41 degrees C) when checked with an instant-read thermometer. Then, stir in the reserved white chocolate until the mixture is smooth and runny.
- Coating with White Chocolate and Coconut: Drop a rum ball into the melted white chocolate. Use two forks to roll it around, ensuring it’s fully coated, then lift it out, allowing excess chocolate to drip off. Next, drop the coated ball into the bowl of coconut and toss to coat evenly. Gently shape the ball with your hands, lightly pressing the coconut into the white chocolate coating. Transfer it to a plate and repeat the process with the remaining rum balls. If the white chocolate starts to harden, place the bowl back over the hot water to soften it.
- Final Step: Once all the rum balls are coated, wrap them and refrigerate. These rum balls are best when made in advance and allowed to “age.” They can be prepared a week or more ahead of time, as long as they are kept tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
This method ensures your Chocolate Rum Snowballs will be deliciously coated and infused with rich flavors. Enjoy your creation!
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Kcal: 150 kcal per snowball | Servings: 24 snowballs
Chocolate Rum Snowballs Faqs
What are chocolate snowballs made of?
Chocolate snowballs are delightful confections typically made of ingredients like crushed vanilla wafers or cookies, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and often include nuts such as walnuts or pecans for texture. They are usually bound together with a liquid ingredient like rum, syrup, or condensed milk. Some variations include chocolate chips for extra richness. The balls are often rolled in powdered sugar or coconut flakes, giving them a snowball-like appearance.
How long can you store rum balls?
Rum balls, known for their flavor that intensifies over time, can be stored for quite a while. In an airtight container in the refrigerator, they can last up to 2 weeks. In fact, they often taste better after they’ve had a few days to sit, allowing the flavors to meld together. If you plan to store them for longer, they can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.
What if rum balls are too dry?
If your rum balls are too dry, it’s usually an issue with the dough consistency. To fix this, you can add a bit more of the binding liquid – rum, in this case. Do this gradually, adding small amounts at a time and mixing thoroughly until you reach the desired consistency. The dough should be moist enough to hold together but not so wet that it loses shape.
How long do snowballs last in the fridge?
Snowballs, depending on their ingredients, can last in the fridge for about 1 to 2 weeks when stored properly in an airtight container. This storage method helps to maintain their freshness and prevents them from absorbing odors from other foods in the fridge. Like rum balls, snowballs can also be frozen for longer storage, and they should be thawed in the refrigerator before enjoying.