Indulge in the delightful world of pastry with this exquisite Cherry Cream Cheese Danish recipe. Perfect for both breakfast and dessert, this recipe offers a harmonious blend of flavors and textures that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. In just 25 minutes, you can transform simple ingredients into a luxurious treat that marries the richness of cream cheese with the tart sweetness of cherry pie filling, all nestled in a flaky, golden puff pastry.
The recipe begins with thawed puff pastry sheets, conveniently pre-made, which are cut into rectangles and form the base of these elegant Danishes. The pastry, once prepped and arranged on baking sheets, becomes the canvas for a luscious filling. The cream cheese mixture, enhanced with granulated sugar and a hint of almond extract, provides a rich and smooth texture, while the cherry pie filling adds a burst of vibrant color and a tangy sweetness that perfectly complements the creamy base.
Each Danish is carefully assembled, ensuring a generous amount of both cream cheese and cherry filling. Before baking, an egg wash is applied to the pastry, giving it a beautiful sheen and helping it achieve that irresistible golden-brown hue when baked. The final touch, a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar, adds an elegant finish to these delightful pastries.
Whether you’re enjoying a relaxed weekend breakfast or looking for a sweet treat to end your day, these Cherry Cream Cheese Danishes are sure to impress. Their combination of textures and flavors make them a favorite for any pastry lover.
Table of contents
Cherry Cream Cheese Danishes Recipe
For the Pastries:
- 2 sheets Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) Cherry Pie Filling
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large Egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Water
For the Topping:
- Confectioners’ Sugar, for dusting
- Prepare for Baking:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Prepare the Pastry:
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold the puff pastry sheets. Cut each into 6 equal rectangles, creating a total of 12 pieces, each about 4½x3 inches.
- Arrange them on the baking sheets, spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Prepare the Pastry Base:
- Using a fork, poke a few holes in the center of each pastry rectangle, leaving a ½-inch border untouched.
- Make the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and almond extract until smooth.
- Assemble the Danishes:
- Spread about 1 heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture onto each pastry rectangle’s center.
- Top each with approximately 2 heaping tablespoons of cherry pie filling.
- Apply Egg Wash:
- Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush this over the edges of the pastry.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the pastries turn golden brown.
- Finish and Serve:
- Remove from the oven and lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
These Cherry Cream Cheese Danishes offer a luxurious blend of sweet and tangy flavors, perfect for enjoying with a morning coffee or as a delightful dessert. The flaky pastry, combined with the creamy filling and luscious cherry topping, makes for a treat that’s as pleasing to the palate as it is to the eye.
Cherry Danish: Storage, Shelf Life, and Taste Profile
How Long Do Cherry Danishes Last?
- Room Temperature: Cherry Danishes are best eaten the day they are made but can last up to 1 day at room temperature. It’s important to cover them to keep them fresh.
- Refrigerated: In the refrigerator, they can last for 2-3 days. Store them in an airtight container to maintain their texture and prevent them from absorbing other odors.
How Long Can a Cream Cheese Danish Sit Out?
- Room Temperature Limit: A cream cheese Danish should not sit out for more than 2 hours at room temperature due to the cream cheese content, which can spoil if left out for too long. In warmer temperatures (above 90°F), this time is reduced to 1 hour.
How Many Calories in a Cherry Cheese Danish?
- Caloric Content: The calorie count in a cherry cheese Danish can vary depending on the recipe and size. On average, a medium-sized cherry cheese Danish may contain approximately 300-400 calories. For precise nutritional information, it’s best to consult a specific recipe or nutrition label.
What Does a Cherry Danish Taste Like?
- Flavor Profile: A cherry Danish offers a delightful blend of flavors and textures. The pastry is typically light and flaky, providing a buttery and slightly crispy base. The cherry filling is sweet and tangy, often with a hint of citrus or vanilla, depending on the recipe. The cream cheese adds a rich, creamy, and slightly tangy contrast to the sweet cherries, creating a balanced and indulgent treat. The overall taste is a harmonious combination of sweetness, tartness, and creamy richness, making cherry Danishes a beloved choice among pastry enthusiasts.
Cherry Danishes are a delightful treat, perfect for enjoying as a special breakfast, a snack, or a dessert. Their combination of sweet fruit filling and rich cream cheese in a flaky pastry makes them a popular choice in bakeries and home kitchens alike.